Friday, July 1, 2011

Writing is Like Karaoke

This past week I went back to Milwaukee, Wisconsin to visit my family and my best friend. I went to Rascal's, a karaoke place, and sang in public for the first time. Usually, I just sing karaoke at a friend's house, so this was a new experience for me. It occurred to me today as I cursed the ungodly Texas heat and cement jungle I live in and procrastinated about unpacking and paying bills and all those other unglamorous things I need to get caught up on that writing and karaoke are a lot alike.

1) Both put you out there to be judged by peers.

2) Sometimes you don't know if you liked what you did, until after you're finished.

3) There are always going to be people who hate you.

4) If you don't take yourself too seriously, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

5) A supportive network of friends can work wonders.

6) If you don't like the results, you can always start over.

7) Both make for interesting conversation starters at parties.

8) You get to meet new people through both.

9) You learn something about yourself as you go.

10) And finally -- both don't cost you any money to enjoy!

As always, happy writing and happy reading to all!

No comments: