Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What Are You Reading Between the Covers? - #18

Well, this post is long overdue. With all the pet emergencies and then me going on vacation, I haven't had time to blog about my latest reads. My humble apologies to my readers. You can flog me with a thousand wet pages of type, if you'd like. I have four selections for you today.

The first is Andersonville by MacKinlay Kantor. This story is thick enough to use as a doorstop and thoroughly researched. For those of you who don't know the horrors of Andersonville, it was the Confederate prison where many Union soldiers suffered and died needlessly due to lack of food, medical care, and basic shelter, etc. The stories from this prison camp are infamous and will make your stomach turn. This tale does a fine job detailing the atrocities of Andersonville and follows a few families in Georgia as they struggle to live in the war-torn state. It is highly moving and emotional, but at times, a tad long. I do recommend it, though.

I switched gears then and read my first book from Permuted Press, a collection of four zombie novellas. The Undead: Headshot Quartet rocked! From H.P. Lovecraft and zombies to a boy who can imagine anything he wants into existence -- phenomenal. Highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good zombie story. I couldn't put this one down. It even inspired me to dust off and spruce up my own zombie novella. I will be reading more from Permuted Press in the future.

If you aren't a fan of zombies, then maybe, you've heard of a very popular book by Emma Donoghue, Room.  This book dealt with dark subject matter, but I didn't find it to be as dark as many of my friends suggested it was. It is great writing, though. The story is told by Jack, a child born of rape. His mother is held captive in one room and this is the only reality he has known until she decides they need to escape. The novel follows them out into the world where Jack learns that there is more to life than the one room he lived in. The author gives us a unique perspective on what we perceive as reality vs. what others see. How Jack and his mother cope is quite interesting. This book was a quick read. I almost finished it in a day. I recommend this one as well.

The next book I finished on vacation this week. It is Urban Gothic by Brian Keene. This book is so sick; it's beautiful. It's Texas Chainsaw Massacre meets The Hills Have Eyes meets the raw grittiness of Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door. If you're faint of stomach, leave your lunch at the door. This story is why I love to write. A must read for any serious horror enthusiast.  You'll find yourself asking why people are disappearing in the rundown house. Will your favorite characters get out alive or become the next meal for the cannibals? Can't miss this one!

Hope you enjoyed my picks. Check back soon for more reviews.

As always, happy writing and happy reading to all!   

No comments: