Sunday, September 18, 2011

Make Halloween Decorations from Recycled Books

It's that time of year again when the leaves are almost ready to turn, you can smell the woodsy scent of people using fireplaces, and pumpkins are popping up everywhere. I only wish it were cooler -- been away from Wisconsin now for five falls, yet I still haven't adjusted to being able to wear short sleeves around Thanksgiving. I'm still getting in the Halloween mood and have some free goodies to share with you.

When I'm not writing, reading, or sleeping, I'm probably creating art. Some of my favorite materials are recycled. The recycled book art craze is still hot this fall. Here are a few fun decorations to make from recycled books that won't kill your wallet. That way you have more money to buy important things like candy. Who doesn't love candy?

I've spent a few hours trolling the Internet for the best ones, so you don't have to do it yourself. All you have to do is deface a few old books you have lying around. Should be easy. If you don't have any, you can always pick some up at your local Goodwill store or a rummage sale.


Need a party favor gift box? Make your own using vintage books and encyclopedias with macabre medical illustrations. Add some cheap spiders and other creepies from your local dollar store and they're boo-tiful!


Looking for that perfect creepy card? Craft one yourself from recycled book pages. Use your imagination. You're not limited by what's shown here.


Every witch needs a black cat and an owl too. Create your own owl centerpiece for a spooktacular kids' party.


Don't have the money to buy a real pumpkin this year for a centerpiece? Make your own. Every ghoul loves a pumpkin and this doubles as a Thanksgiving centerpiece.


They're alive! Breathe new life into old books by giving them a new look. Use them as centerpieces, in a haunted house, or decorate everyday journals and sketchbooks. You can even give them away as party favors for teens and adults.

Don't want to pay designer prices for a Halloween wreath? Make your own from recycled book pages and Halloween theme scrapbook papers.

Want to save on part decorations for your next kid party? Decorate old books to create a centerpiece for your treat table and be a "proud mummy".













3 comments:

Li said...

Cool ideas - and I love any ideas that involve recycling books. I just hate to throw them away, even when the pages are missing, etc.

Nora B. Peevy said...

I have never used my own books for a project. I've only used ones I got for free from people or bought at Goodwill, etc. I don't think I could do that to my books. The books on my shelves are my babies. They're the ones I care about and cherish. I donate the ones I can live without to my local library charity or pass them along to others to read. That way I have more room to buy new ones and collectors. I did make a recycled scrapbook from a novel in the past year. It turned out pretty good and was really easy and fun.

Erin O'Riordan said...

I've done this before, with a hopelessly old children's book about witches my grandma bought for me at a yard sale.