Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Roxanne Bland's Blackrose Press

Roxanne Bland Bio: A lifelong fan of fantasy and science fiction, Roxanne Bland began her writing career in 2001. Born in Akron, Ohio, she grew up in Washington, D.C. She received her A.B. from Smith College and her J.D. from Tulane University Law School. She currently works as an attorney and lives in the Baltimore, Maryland area, and is the owner of Blackrose Press.

Thank you, Nora, for hosting me today on your blog. I hope someday I can return the favor.

I’ve dreamed of Doing Something Literary with my life since I was a teenager. Back then, the dream took the shape of a bookstore, the kind where you could drop in, drink herbal tea, eat scones, read in big, comfortable, well-loved chairs, and occasionally even buy a book. The inventory changed over the years, but it essentially boiled down to fantasy, science fiction, horror, mysteries and thrillers. In other words, genres that I liked to read.

Little did I know that after decades, my dream would finally come true, albeit with a twist: Instead of a bookstore, I now own a publishing house.

Blackrose Press opened its doors in 2011. I publish speculative fiction and am especially interested in cross-genre works like my current project, The Underground, a paranormal urban fantasy/science fiction blend. I decided to go POD and ebook because given that I don’t have a literary or publishing background, I figured it was a good way to learn some aspects of the business. Not to mention that I don’t have the space to store 1,000 or so books from a normal print run. At present, since I still have my day job, I expect to publish one, maybe two books per year. Though I’m not accepting submissions at this time, I hope to add more authors as Blackrose matures.

There is a saying that a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. I see my founding of Blackrose Press as the start of a journey. I’m taking baby steps, and I will make mistakes, but I believe that what I learn will ultimately enrich my life in expected and unexpected ways.

Thanks again, Nora!

Check out Roxanne’s blog “Of Werewolves and Other Strangers."     

No comments: