RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA – (January 16, 2012) – Whether books have been published traditionally or through self publishing routes, it is important for every author to know effective ways to promote their books. Someone can be the best writer in the world, but if people don’t know about their book, they won’t have many sales.
“It is crucial, when you self publish your book, that you in turn do things to promote it,” explains Sarah Gilbert, director of sales at Lulu (www.lulu.com), a self publishing company. “Taking the time to promote your book will result in an increase in sales, recognition and success, without a doubt.”
Here are 5 ways to promote self published books:
1. Start blogging. Blogging can be an effective way to build a platform. Using the right search engine optimization (SEO) words can help draw in traffic to the blog. Blogs can contain written posts, or even video posts. Use it as a way to connect withcurrent fans, and create new ones.
2. Give talks. Giving talks or book readings can be an effective way to get noticed. Offer to give them atlocal book clubs and libraries, or even do an online virtual book tour, engaging in webinars.
3. Connect with media. Many media outlets can be helpful in getting a book or author noticed. Send a press release, or work with a public relations agent, to contact local radio, television, and print media outlets. Offer to do talks, be a show guest, etc.
4. Send review copies. Many people review books, either on blogs or in print. Sending out some review copies, with a nice note enclosed, can be a good way to get them interested in choosing the book for a published review.
5. Use social media. The power of social media cannot be denied. Whether using Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, or something else, these are effective ways to connect with people and spread the word. Make it a goal to get connected.
“Book sales really come down to people knowing about the book in the first place,” adds Gilbert. “The job of every author, whether self published or not, is to let people know about your book and why they should read it. Make an effective plan of action for marketingyour book, and then work toward it each month.”
Lulu, a self publishing company that was founded in 2002, provides complete services to authors. Their self publishing service is provided free, and authors retain all rights, as well as 80 percent of all profit from sales. To learn more about using Lulu’s publishing tools, log onto www.lulu.com.
Lulu.com, founded in 2002, is a company that specializes in independent publishing. The company has 1.1 million creators and has 20,000titles added to their collection each month. They offer their service for free and authors keep up to 90 percent of the profits when their works sell. Lulu provides anyone with the ability to publish books, eBooks, mini-books, photo books, calendars, cookbooks, and travel books. To learn more, visit the website at www.lulu.com.