Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What Are You Reading Between the Covers? - #4

Another sleepless night led to a quick read of Kim Harrison's second young adult book in the Madison Avery series, Early to Death, Early to Rise. I have long been a fan of her adult Hollows series. (In fact, I wish I could be Rachel Morgan minus the black demon smut, but alas, I'm just an author). *chuckles* Anyway, Kim Harrison's young adult novel did not disappoint. I was skeptical after running from the ongoing teenage angst of the popular Twilight series by Stephenie Meyers, which isn't a bad series, just not my cup of tea, but Kim Harrison delivered. For an adult reader, her book was entertaining; the teen characters were not annoying and I could see why the story would appeal to young adults as well.

In the series, the main character, Madison Avery, is a reaper who is trying to change the way the angels deal with the collection and protection of people's souls, but the angels of the dark and light aren't on board with her new policies. Madison describes herself as, "not death on roller skates," a snarky image I have not been able to get of my head.

I made the mistake of picking up the second novel thinking it was a standalone story, but it was easy enough to follow the plot. So now I am going back to the library to pick up the first novel, Once Dead, Twice Shy.

I'm also currently plowing through the third book in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series, Dead and Alive. I'll be blogging about that later in the week.

And I just returned from the library this morning with about eleven hold requests and three new books checked out, so more to come soon. If only my wallet would allow me to buy as many books as I read. I need a magical wallet! If anyone knows where to find one, please send it to me.

As always, happy writing and happy reading to all!

No comments: