Thursday, March 8, 2012

Between the Covers - Book Review #10

Two new picks for you, Lena Coakley's Witchlanders and Ellen Dugan's Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick.
1) Lena Coakley's Witchlanders is a great YA novel that kept my interest. Set in a wonderful fantasy where witches and Baen live in a divided land seeded with hatred after the last war, in which the witches won and forced the Baen to the wastelands and poverty, one young man, Ryder, must face his mother's coven heritage and set out to save his family and their way of life from destruction. The characters are wonderfully developed and the plot has a few twists and turns you won't expect. I will be reading more from this author.

2) Ellen Dugan's Natural Witchery fell a little flat for me, compared to her other books on witchcraft. This book focuses on honing in on your psychic gifts in coordination with the practice of magic. It is written in her pleasant, conversational tone and includes information such as how to incorporate your personal power into your own spells and enchantments, the psychic phases of the moon, and how to identify what psychic powers you possess. This book just didn't hold my interest as much. She included her usual amount of spellwork and background information, which was useful, but I felt this topic didn't really warrant an entire book. Though, I am still a fan of her work and recommend her other titles.

7 comments:

Erin O'Riordan said...

Thanks for the reviews, Nora.

Your "Creature From the Black Lagoon" caught my eye. He was my niece Lydia's favorite monster when she was two and three years old. (She's 6 now.) My parents bought a book of the classic movie monsters and used to read the "Black Lagoon" part to her, and she insisted on calling him Gill Man because that's how the book refers to him.

annual report writer said...

I believe you have remarked some very interesting details , appreciate it for the post.

AllTop said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bridesmaids gifts said...

This constantly amazes me just how blog owners such as your self can find the time as well as the dedication to keep on crafting superb blog posts. Your website is good and one of my personal must read weblogs. I just had to thank you.

reminder ring said...

I love your blog. This is a cool site and I wanted to post a little note to tell you, good job! Best wishes!!

Nora B. Peevy said...

Thanks for all the blog love and warm comments. I've been absent due to serious illness, but am trying to get back in the groove this week. Finally, I have internet after moving again. LOL

movies said...

caught my eye. He was my niece Lydia's favorite monster when she was two and three years old. (She's 6 now.) My parents bought a book of the classic movie monsters and used to read the "Black Lagoon" part to her, and she insisted on calling him Gill Man because that's how the book refers to him.