Saturday, May 28, 2011

What's in a Blog Name?

If my muse, Wendy Wench, had her way, my blog would be named: The Author, Wendy Wench, but I vetoed that. Instead, I thought about what subject my new blog covered and  researched other writing blogs to find out what titles were already used. I never want to be a secondhand inspiration! This is good advice for all bloggers, in my opinion.

After careful research, I realized all my ideas were taken and I had to come up with something original. I looked to my collection of art and books for inspiration and focused on the image you see featured here on my blog. It's a gargoyle and not a demon, but if I were a demon, I'd have that angry mug.

I also brainstormed about writing and remembered how overlooked the pencil is today. The pencil is like the little brother you don't want to admit you're related to growing up. It's the ugly duckling of the writing field. No one ever chooses a pencil,  if they can write in pen. When typewriters became affordable for public use, then pens fell by the wayside. And today most people prefer their computers or phones. No one ever uses a pencil, unless they're taking a standardized test. I feel kind of sorry for the pencil. I remember when I was in grade school and collectible pencils with charms and scented erasures were in fashion. What ever happened to the pencil?

So in homage to my early grade school days when we were forbidden to write in pen and could only use pencil, I came up with: The Demon Stole My Pencil.

There's a tiny demon out there that stole my pencil in an attempt to silence me and keep me from sharing my stories with you. Little did he know I own a keyboard of my own and a mugful of pens that make a good paperweight on my breakfast bar beside the phone. I have backup *grins*

As always, happy writing and happy reading to all!

5 comments:

Susie said...

I love the name of your blog...it has many implications!

Liz Schulte's Blog said...

Your blog has such a unique name, so well done!

Nora B. Peevy said...

Thank you. I wanted it to be something memorable and odd to suit my personality. :P

misty dahl said...

Demons can be such selfish little creatures, and they can be cute and persuasive too. I have tea with my demons sometimes. They usually go on and on, jumping up on the table howling... and I listen to what they have to say but lately, they don't stay too long. Usually they get bored because I'm not falling for their spiel. Do you think the demon will ever return your pencil?

Nora B. Peevy said...

I received a ransom note earlier last month. Apparently, the demon wants my signed copy of Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show and tickets to see The Addams Family musical, plus my firstborn. Seeing as how I am not planning on having children, I am not feeling confident at this point. As I type, I can hear him cackling on top of my refrigerator. My trusty cat, Houdini is going to investigate right now.