Friday, April 22, 2011

My 2011 Earth Day Book List

Okay, it's Earth Day! I usually don't participate in holiday/day themed posts, but this one is important to me since I live and write on this blue and green ball.

A little background on Earth Day: Earth Day was founded by United States Senator Gaylord Nelson in April 22, 1970. In 1990 the event went international with Denis Hayes.

Here's a little something for the Earth Day reader...

A Small Earth Day Book List (in no particular order)

1) Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver: She is a favorite author of mine. The prose in this book make you want to cry. It's written that well. Beautiful! A story about a wildlife biologist observing coyotes in the Appalachian Mountains with a cast of great characters.

2) The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling: This collection of themed short stories will make you want to write your own Green Man tale! Entertaining as always, this duo of editors is a real gift to modern literature. For the fantasy lovers out there, recommended!

3) Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit by Daniel Quinn: The gorilla Ishmael can teach everyone a few lessons about life, the world, and all the important things we humans forget. The sequels to this book are also recommended.

4) The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield: I own and have read this book twice now and learned something new each time. Discover a new way of looking at the little coincidences that happen around you in everyday life and spirituality. *hint* You might never look at plants the same way again.

5) Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman: An oldie, but a goodie. One of my favorite poetry collections by Walt Whitman, the great American poet. My copy on my bookshelf is worn!

6) Silent Spring by Rachel Carson: Learn the truth about pesticides and weed killers. First published in 1962 this book is now an environmental classic and has saved lives.

7) Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon: If you are looking for an inspiring travel book this one is for you. Explore small town American and meet the people who populate your part of the plant or try another travel book, if you don't like this one or live in the U.S. *grins* This book is wonderful. I own it.

8) A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins: This is the first travel book I ever owned and read. The sequels are just as great. "I started out searching for myself and my country," Peter Jenkins writes, "and found both."

9) The Lorax by Dr. Seuss: This children's book is still relevant today. Funny, I had to take an essay test for a class in college on this book. The perfect book to share with your little ones on Earth Day!

10) Second Nature: A Gardener's Education by Michael Pollan: A beautifully written book detailing the journey of one gardener's re-education by nature. This is a well-worn book on my bookshelf as well.

I hope you find something on the list to enjoy this Earth Day!

As always, happy writing and happy reading to all!

No comments: