Friday, December 3, 2021

What Have You Been Watching?


In between my writing and editing projects, I need to relax. I've been watching some great cinema with excellent storytelling. Here are my top three from the past month:

1) The gnome to the left agrees with me that (Nisser) Elves (TV Series 2021) is an awesome mix of folklore and holiday fun. It follows the journey of a family Christmas vacation when an ancient creature on the island seeks vengeance. I'm sure a lot of you have seen the previews and thought, "This looks terrible," but I assure you it's wonderful. It follows the ancient advice of respecting the forest and is a grim tale with a really cute puppet. And one of the best holiday films I've seen in years!

The puppetry in here is great fun. It is an homage to Jim Henson. The film has an 80s horror feel. The opening credits and the music suit the storytelling. I would say more, but then I would give away my absolute favorite character, since Gizmo in the 80s.

2) Midnight Mass is the second Netflix series I recommend. It plays on the old trope of a vampire priest, but the writing and the acting are beautiful. I enjoyed this little seaside island turning into monsters. And the last speech about death at the end of the series makes me cry. I don't cry at movies very often. This one is worth bingeing and I promise it's not "just" an old trope. There's a bit of a twist.

3) The last one is a new release on HBO, The Power of the Dog. This film's cinematography, the acting, the writing, the music, and the tasteful ending are trademarks of Jan Campion. She's made another beautiful film and it's a western! Let me know what you think of the ending, if you've watched it. 

Please be sure to share your movie recommendations in the comments. I love a good flick. Also feel free to steer me away from a horrible choice. It would be much appreciated. What have you been watching?
 





No comments: